Network Gear Seismic Tolerances

Crist Clark cjc+nanog at pumpky.net
Wed Sep 16 00:59:28 UTC 2020

I've been living and working in earthquake country for many years. The
primary focus I've always encountered for network gear is to make sure it
is properly secured to the racks and the racks properly secured to the
building (and hope the building is well secured).

I'm working on a project now where we're doing seismic isolation for the
servers. I think the main concern there is spinning disks. The cabinets are
effectively "floating," well, rolling really, on the data center floor.
There are various vendor solutions for this. Of course, the network gear
living up close and personal with the servers is along for the ride. That's
all fine. I don't think it's a problem for the network gear.

But now there are people with the idea that seismic isolation is the
technology we need for all of our electronics, down to network gear in
IDRs. I am trying to find any real information about this, but Google-fu is
not producing results for me. I asked some of our vendor sales people, they
said they'd get back, but never did. I don't know if shake tolerances is
something published for your typical data center and campus network gear.

Anyone have some best practice info from some reliable sources or seen any
shake tolerance data for network gear?