PTP/Syncronized Ethernet maturity

geir egeland geir.egeland.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 06:21:42 UTC 2020

We have mobile NWs in both Asia and Europe and also experience a lot of issues with PTP, - almost with every vendor.
The instabilities, SW-bugs etc. related to PTP seems to indicate that very little testing of this code has been done in production networks. In some deployments we have been able to produce a clock service by installing GNSS on the cell-site. However, in other countries there are regulatory directives that the phase sync must be PTP/Network based.

Currently, the optical domain is causing us huge problems when we try to engineer a T-BC/PTP solution. This is due to the path asymmetry that exist in the WDM/fiber domain. In some networks we have a lot of DCF in the fiber path and the only way we can get visibility in the asymmetry on these fiber hops is to measure in both direction:(
Also, running T-BC over WDM/OTN will simply not work as the phase error introduced more or less eats up the phase error budget for 4G/5G TDD-service.

best regards,
Geir