PTP/Syncronized Ethernet maturity

m.Taichi marc101.maxmaok at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 14:39:58 UTC 2020

Hi Macho,

How are you?

Glad to hear this from you. We also have PTP deployed in our transport
network as one of the synchronization methods for our mobile networks. And
we have encountered a lot of problems as well, such as instabilities, path
asymmetry, large TIE variation, poor clock recovery performance, etc. But
we have not ended up with any ascertained root causes nor effective
solutions to these problems, yet.

I don't know if it is true that PTP / IEEE1588v2 is not mature and reliable
enough to meet the minimum syntonization / synchronization requirements of
mobile networks (e.g. LTE and 5G NR). Based on my recent observations, I
think there may be many we can improve in regard to the timing-over-packet
network architecture design and synchronization recovery performance on the
slave clock equipment.

An interesting and costly issue to study and figure out as soon as
possible. Look forward to hearing further input from you and others.

Thanks and best regards,
Taichi