Technology risk without safeguards

Suresh Kalkunte sskalkunte at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:48:48 UTC 2020

> I'm a bit confused as to what this message
> is trying to ultimately get at

The superior tactical advantage of causing intentional harm with high power
beam-forming RF and escape detection. Meaning, assault with powerful RF
leaves a victim and bystander unaware of being attacked and my intention is
to mobilize interest to plug the gap in safeguards.

> it should be noted that folks who work
> with RF... well aware of the necessary
> precautions and take them on a day to day
> basis when working with this equipment...

At an employer where I developed Wi-Fi based SOHO device, an adjacent group
was testing Line of Sight transceivers. Nobody warned me of the inclement
health (a general physician in 2007 suspected cancer looking at a blood
test) from close quarters exposure to the side lobes emanating from the
microwave radio.

> ...let's hear that out specifically and I'm all
> for working to rectify that.

Applicable to workplaces pertinent to the NANOG community and elsewhere,
there is need for publicising policy on curbing harassment using powerful
RF along the lines of curbing gender/race based harassment. Why publicise?
awareness among non-RF professionals of the leading health symptoms
expressed post-overexposure to harmful RF/X-ray voids the element of
surprise on an unsuspecting victim.

> The former is relatively difficult to do by
> virtue of the amount of power necessary.

For instance, RF from Magnetron salvaged from a kitchen heating appliance
focused using a horn antenna when positioned on a roof renders the person
one floor above within 2 meters effective range of harm.

> Quite basically, there are much easier ways
> to go about injuring someone if that's what
> you want to do

Without a doubt. However, other methods are very well handled by existing
forensic tests to minimize repeat offence. With negative use of RF on
humans, the perpetrator is fearless of law.

> jam RF communications has existed for as
> long as RF communication has, and the
> knowledge of how to accomplish it is
> relatively widespread

Very good point, the FCC has enforcable regulations and the DoJ armed with
statutes to curb jamming electronic devices. However jamming a human is not
yet present.

> ...but lacks specificity with regard to what
> safeguards...

Thanks for asking. Safeguards I can think of:
- Anti-harassment policy diplayed at a workplace, hospital, hotel etc. to
raise awareness of failing health post-overexposure to harmful RF/X-ray
(EMF).
- Diagnostic/forensic tests that identify biomarkers expressed
post-overexposure to harmful EMF.
- Forensic tests that make visible transformation of paint and characterize
the alteration of microbiome exposed to harmful EMF.
- Detectors worn by firefighters^*^, civil law enforcement, military and
outdoor wireless developers and field technicians.

^*^ Curtis S.D. Massey. The Facts and Dangers of Rooftop Transmitting
Devices on High-Rise
Buildings. Mar 31st, 2005.
https://www.firehouse.com/safety-health/article/10513827/the-facts-and-dangers-of-rooftop-transmitting-devices-on-highrise-buildings
.