An appeal for more bandwidth to the Internet Archive

Jonah Edwards jonah at archive.org
Wed May 13 19:00:10 UTC 2020

Thank you Jared & Tim!  Fortunately the recent upgrade has gotten us
some overhead in the short term -- we generally run very close to the
edge, capacity-wise, in order to get the most out of what we have, so a
sudden unexpected burst in demand pinned us for a bit there.  I expect
more upgrades to be necessary in the near future, particularly on the
egress bandwidth and long-haul datacenter interconnect fronts, and would
love to talk off-list about help with peering/pipes in the Bay Area and
100G gear especially.

To answer a couple sibling thread questions, traffic is pretty
legitimate -- lots of users accessing lots of content.  We're fine with
folks downloading in bulk and most who do use our torrent functionality
to do so.  We have a broad view of regionality of visitors, but we very
intentionally don't keep specific usage records (after all, we are a
library, and we don't track our patrons -- this also precludes the use
of most commercial CDNs).  See e.g.
https://archive.org/services/docs/api/views.html#footnote-what-is-the-deal-with-privacy-protecting-hashes-instead-of-ip-numbers-in-our-logs
for some info.

As far as colocation costs, we run our own datacenters in the Bay Area,
where most of our on-site staff lives and where fully ambient cooling is
possible year-round.  Our presence in 200 Paul is a terminus for our
dark fiber and a place to make XCs -- actually only a single rack.

Thanks again for the all the appreciation and help -

--
Jonah Edwards
jonah at archive.org
4157638676