Huawei on Mount Everest

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri May 1 22:18:32 UTC 2020

On May 1, 2020, at 11:07 AM, Aaron Gould <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:
> You made me curious...
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_climbing_Mount_Everest
>
> wow, I guess it would be great to be able to use cell/gps technology to communicate with and track a lost/endangered climber

Depending on how high and the weather conditions, it might give a false sense of security.  Or it might serve the same purpose as for Rob Hall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall) in the 1996 Everest disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Mount_Everest_disaster), namely give you a chance to call your pregnant wife and say goodbye.  Tragic story.

Back to the NOG content: I agree, a publicity stunt, maybe useful for a bit of telemetry but I can’t imagine the hardware would survive more than a season.

Regards,
-drc