Huawei on Mount Everest

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 1 19:55:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:01 AM John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
> Given how dangerous the ascent is, I would think it would be a good
> thing for climbers to be able to check in and say whether they are OK.

Hi John,

Climbers who care rent or buy satphones and beacons. They're mostly
based on low earth orbit and generally able to punch through weather.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

Your everyday cell phone is composed of consumer-grade electronics
that aren't designed to work in the conditions atop Everest. Even if
the phone works, it's not a great idea to remove your glove atop
Everest in order to work the phone.

I love the sketch in the article about why flat-earthers are affected
by 5G. https://telecoms.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2020/05/flat-earthers-5g-diagram.jpg

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--