UDP/123 policers & status

Bottiger bottiger10 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:29:44 UTC 2020

> but why isn't BCP 38 widely deployed?

Because it costs time and money. People have been asking for it to be
implemented for decades. It is never going to be deployed on every network.

What fraction of the
> world does implement BCP 38?

 Not enough. Everyone has to use it for it to work. Otherwise the hackers
will still find a network that doesn't have it.

I'd also be interested in general background info on DDoS.  Who is DDoS-ing
> whom and/or why?  Is this gamers trying to get an advantage on a
> competitor?
> Bad guys making a test run to see if the server can be used for a real
> run?

Most motivations for attacks can't be traced. But this is not just a gaming
problem. It is used to extort businesses for money, destroy competitors,
shutdown government critics, fame.

 Is DDoS software widely available on the dark web?

You don't need the dark web. It is widely available on Github like most
other attack types.

https://github.com/search?q=ntp+ddos

Broken protocols need to be removed and blacklisted at every edge. Pushing
the responsibility to BCP38 is unrealistic.