UDP/123 policers & status

Roland Dobbins roland.dobbins at netscout.com
Sat Mar 28 12:51:53 UTC 2020

On 21 Mar 2020, at 4:58, Hal Murray wrote:

> I don't want to start a flame war, but why isn't BCP 38 widely
> deployed?  Can
> somebody give me a pointer to a talk at NANOG or such?  What fraction
> of the
> world does implement BCP 38?
>
> I'd also be interested in general background info on DDoS.  Who is
> DDoS-ing
> whom and/or why?  Is this gamers trying to get an advantage on a
> competitor?
> Bad guys making a test run to see if the server can be used for a real
> run?
> Is DDoS software widely available on the dark web?  ...

Answers to all of these questions are readily available via search
engines, searching the archive of this and related listservs, searching
the presentation archives of
NANOG/RIPE/APRICOT/APNIC/AusNOG/NZNOG/LACNIC, et. al.  My archive of
public presentations is available here:

<https://app.box.com/s/4h2l6f4m8is6jnwk28cg>

These topics are well-understood and -documented, and a bit of research
can help bring one up to speed on them pretty quickly.