Sunday traffic curiosity

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Mar 23 17:24:16 UTC 2020

On 23/Mar/20 12:18, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

> I should abstain from writing about this but I think the situation of
> virus with a crown version year 2020 is not yet understood on business.
>
> There are signs business would work as before: business challenges
> that we know worked are now tested with sponsoring open source
> projects on 3D-printed ventilators (respirator).
>
> Other signs I see seem to differ: same kind of projects but not
> looking for money.  That might not amount for 'business' but might
> save lives equally well.
>
> It is not clear to me where it is heading to, probably a mix of the two.

It's going to be a battle between putting capitalism marginally aside
and keeping humanity a going concern.

I laugh when I see the news and hear some countries talking about how
they are first to do this and the first do that, or the first to help
this and the first to help, or the first to discover this and the first
to discover that re: the Coronavirus. Okay, you're the first, and then
what? What good is you being #1 if I am too poor or too dead to buy any
of your #1'ness? But I digress.

The world has been at 100% speed since 2010. This "forced leave" should
be used as a great opportunity to slow down, take a step back, and think
about what REALLY matters.

The companies that will survive and do well in the new economy (during
and post-Coronavirus) are not the ones that can gain the most profit,
but the ones that can gain the most profit while actually caring about
humanity, and offering real value (which = individual + company-wide
fulfillment)

Nothing against Mr. Gates, but let's not wait until we are 60+ to
realize all the billions we've made can actually make meaningful,
valuable difference, on a large scale.

#ProfitAndFulfillmentIsTheNewGame

> And it is not clear to me where multicast might fit into this, because
> presumably an Internet-connected ventilator might not have much data
> to send, depending of course, if one wants to put a measurement device
> on another side of the planet and the breath on one side, and the air
> pressure might need to be transmitted instantaneously, like  'remote
> surgery' needs to transmit haptic feedback effect across long distances.

I honestly don't think Multicast features anywhere on today's public
Internet.

Mark.