COVID-19 vs. our Networks

Alexandre Petrescu alexandre.petrescu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 12:43:16 UTC 2020

Le 21/03/2020 à 03:42, Mark Tinka a écrit :

> On 20/Mar/20 19:38, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>
>> +100.
>>
>> In all the decades that I've been here (on the 'nets), the saddest change
>> I've seen is the lack of responsibility on the part of people who have,
>> by virtue of their positions, been given incredible power.  This is the
>> time for those people to step up and (try to) do the right thing.
>>
>> None of us know what's going to be needed.  How could we?  We could guess,
>> and we *are* guessing, but we don't really know because we're sailing
>> off the edge of the map now.
>>
>> In those circumstances, the virtue of frugality -- a sensible thing
>> at any time -- now becomes a necessity.  Every single one of us should
>> be doing whatever we can to prepare for the unknown, and conserving
>> resources is one part of that.
>>
>> 	"Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist.
>> 	Everything we do after will seem inadequate."
>> 		--- Michael Leavitt, former HHS Secretary
>>
>> As I write this, doctors and nurses are working without PPE, risking
>> their own wellbeing to try to save patients.  We're not being asked
>> to do anything like that.  Hopefully we still have enough left to rise
>> to the comparatively minor challenge in front of us.
> All I'm saying is at the moment, there is no empirical information to
> suggest that Netflix will break what's left of the Internet. Nor is
> there any empirical information suggesting that singling them out will
> help keep it going.

I tend to agree - I dont think there is any capacity problem in the core
network or server platforms, including netflix.  I do not see it for my
part as of now.  I am an end user, not a Network sysadmin.

I heard about EU measures to attenuate such a problem tha tmight arrive
- I think it is mis-informed.

I also heard EC (European COmmission) looking to push all efforts in
robotics, how could robotics help this, several ideas like drones, or
the open source respiratory device, or why not sending a robot do
shopping for me.  I think these look far fetched but are promissing.

Alex, LF/HF 2 (means low stress)