Chairman Pai Proposes Mandating STIR/SHAKEN To Combat Robocalls

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Mar 6 22:43:04 UTC 2020

On 3/6/20 2:34 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-pai-proposes-mandating-stirshaken-combat-robocalls
>

> Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai today proposed a
> major step forward to further the FCC’s efforts to protect consumers
> against
> spoofed robocalls: new rules requiring implementation of caller ID
> authentication using socalled “STIR/SHAKEN” technological standards.
> STIR/SHAKEN enables phone companies to verify the accuracy of caller
> ID information that is transmitted with a call. Industry-wide
> implementation would reduce the effectiveness of illegal spoofing,
> allow law enforcement to identify bad actors more easily, and help
> phone companies identify calls with illegally spoofed caller ID
> information before those calls reach their subscribers.
>
> The FCC will vote on these new rules during its Open Meeting on March 31.

In my opinion, STIR/SHAKEN is solving the wrong problem. e.164 addresses
are dinosaurs and pretty irrelevant for identity. Cryptographic
protection of the From: address in SIP would be a lot more sane because
we already know how to do that. Since it's basically an all SIP world
these days, we should just retire e.164'isms and move on.

Mike