netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 28 21:55:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 10:21:47 +0200, Mark Tinka said:
> Sadly, PlayStation still don't support IPv6. Hopefully, it comes with
> the PS5, although I see no reason why the PS4 and PS3 can't.

The PS/4 will in fact dhcpv6 at startup, and it will answer pings from both on
subnet and from elsewhere, and will properly hand you an RST when there's
nobody listening on a TCP port, and a port unreachable for a UDP port. So it's
very much a "lights are on but nobody's home" because nothing is using an IPv6
port.

One big reason that PS4 doesn't use IPv6 is that although the OS supports it,
the developer toolkit doesn't have that API in it, so no games or apps can use
it without an incredible amount of pain and suffering.  It wouldn't help games
that want to talk to Playstation Network until Sony got *that* part working,
but if the API was there at least things like the Netflix and Hulu and similar
apps could use it....