Is there any data on packet duplication?

Hal Murray hgm+nanog at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Jun 23 00:28:40 UTC 2020

How often do packets magically get duplicated within the network so that the
target receives 2 copies?  That seems like something somebody at NANOG might
have studied and given a talk on.

Any suggestions for other places to look?

Context is NTP.  If a client gets an answer, should it keep the socket around
for a short time so that any late responses or duplicates from the network
don't turn into ICMP port unreachable back at the server.  Nothing critical,
just general clutter reduction.

I have packet captures from a NTP server.  I'm trying to sort things out.
There are a surprising (to me) number of duplicates that arrive back-to-back,
sometimes the timestamp is the same microsecond.  They could come from buggy
clients, but that seems like an unlikely sort of bug.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.