Router Suggestions

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jun 18 13:26:21 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 6:26 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On 18/Jun/20 00:50, Warren Kumari wrote:
>

> A number of customers (myself included) had 4 hour replacement contracts, which the vendor really could not meet - so we agreed to take a new, much larger/better model as a replacement.
>

> It's one of the reasons we never pay for 24/7/365.
>
> In many cases for our experience, with sufficient pre-built redundancy, there isn't much different with 24/7 vs. NBD, apart from the cost. So why pay for the premium.

Ah, because, if you word / negotiate your contract carefully, the
failure to meet the 24/7 SLO can be converted into credit -- either
actual discounts or simply a big stick when negotiating new stuff.
Many years ago I worked for a company who repeatedly tripped over
their own feet - but the one good thing that they actually managed was
to have a good clause in their support contract -- we got free 24/7
support for 3 years in a row because the contact had a "if you miss
the response time more than N% of the time, we ain't gonna pay"
clause. We had many locations in the USA, but also in Bangalore,
Chennai, Hyderabad, Paris, London, Mumbai, and Marseille - for some
reason Marseille was almost always the winner in terms of missing the
SLO.

> And if a site does not require redundancy, it's cheaper to have a cold standby than to give it 24/7/365, or even NBD.
>
> Mark.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf