ROV Deployment (was LDPv6 Census Check)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 16 15:50:26 UTC 2020

>> when Google got people worried about dropping routes.
> That may have an impact down the road, but I doubt that really had
> that much impact on current deployments.

i suspect different folk moved for various reasons.  i appreciate the
motion.

while things are moving, the problem is that technical deployment sucks
badly, from the arin disaster to broken relying party software to broken
router implementations; i.e. every step in the chain.  the only reason
the mess is not blatantly visible is the fail soft design, aka notFound.
the problem with fail soft is that you think you are protected when you
are not.

my inner naggumite is starting to wonder if fail soft was a mistake.

randy