ROV Deployment (was LDPv6 Census Check)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:00:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:51 AM Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> router implementations; i.e. every step in the chain.  the only reason
> the mess is not blatantly visible is the fail soft design, aka notFound.
> the problem with fail soft is that you think you are protected when you
> are not.

I don't see how we would have reasonably found these problems without
large scale actually operating deployments. To me this seems like:
  ipv6 rollouts
  dnssec rollouts
  any other large system change

we expected things to work like X, in reality they work a little differently AND
we have software / systems problems which SEEM like non-problems (or even
features!) which under stress/scale prove to be complications to be filed down.

> my inner naggumite is starting to wonder if fail soft was a mistake.

would be hard to argue: "Sure! you should deploy, worse case when
things go wrong
in your deployment (which happens, always) you fall off the net!"

fail soft at least for a while is ok... and helps get systems/people/scale.