questions asked during network engineer interview

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Jul 14 21:22:27 UTC 2020

On 7/14/20 4:14 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2020, 11:00 Ahmed elBorno <amaged at gmail.com
> <mailto:amaged at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     15 years ago, I applied to a network admin role at Google, it was
>     for their corporate office, not even the production network.
>
>     I had less than two years experience.
>
>     The interviewer asked me:
>     [...]
>     2) If we had a 1GB file that we need to transfer between America
>     and Europe, how much time do we need, knowing that we start with a
>     TCP size of X

Well, the first question is the available end-to-end bandwidth. Pretty
much everything else is irrelevant.

Of course, I might ask them what they mean by "size."

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown