Rogue objects in routing databases

Florian Brandstetter florianb at globalone.io
Sat Jan 25 12:29:34 UTC 2020

Hi Martijn,

albeit a negligible amount of edge cases it can
indeed be stated that there is too much trust put
into alternative IRR sources operated by third
partys not affiliated to RIRs. Generally, usage of
such databases however is not mis-used in a larger
scope, and the complexity involved with creating
route objects (AltDB for example validates new
MAINTAINERS, RaDB charges) diminishes the vector
in a (barely influental) manner. An option to
combat this would perhaps be to run validation at
regular intervals, and brings invalid objects to
the attention of operators. I did similar for this
incident just a moment ago with a batch of self-
written scripts.

After further analysis, there are over 5390 IPv4
prefixes pointing with their origin towards
AS8100: https://pastebin.com/Zh1YZfEq

Out of 5390 prefixes, 2287 are currently not even
visible within the global routing table:
https://pastebin.com/cSepb7yS

Another 2714 prefixes are INVALID, that in
particular means that AS8100 is neither *within*
the announcing AS-PATH, nor originating the
prefix: https://pastebin.com/JhaxVeN0

Last but not least, there is 389 VALID prefixes
(in this case, perhaps only technically valid, as
I did probe for AS8100 within the AS-PATH
sequence, and not if AS8100 actually originates
the prefix): https://pastebin.com/UVt6nwGz

That's a conceivable 5001 IPv4 prefixes for a
potential bad actor right there. It can also
clearly be stated that, while initially mentioned,
the significance of ascendence caused by AS-SBAG
is negligible, as it appears, the entirity of
Quadranet and affiliates is affected.

Regards,
Florian Brandstetter