Rogue objects in routing databases

Martijn Schmidt martijnschmidt at i3d.net
Sat Jan 25 01:02:47 UTC 2020

Hi Florian, NANOG,

While the symptom of (automatically) proxy registered route objects is problematic, perhaps we could also take this opportunity to discuss the underlying issue: we as an industry appear to place our trust in various IRR sources operated by entities that either can't or don't validate whether the actual owner of the involved resource approves the creation of the IRR database object.

We should start to push our customers to maintain their route origin information in databases operated by the RIR or NIR which assigned the resource, or even through RPKI ROAs that were optionally converted into IRR route objects for the ease of consumption. It's also time for the RIRs to take their responsibility in this matter by facilitating services like IRR, RPKI, PTR, etc for legacy IP space under conditions which are palatable to corporate lawyers, if they haven't already done so.

Finally, there doesn't have to be a global "flip the switch" day where we decide to stop trusting 3rd party databases, but even if we start holding ourselves to a higher standard one customer at a time that's still going to have the potential to make a big difference a couple of years down the road.

Best regards,
Martijn Schmidt

PS, a small disclaimer: none of the above are new ideas, nor did I come up with them myself - but it still makes sense to work towards implementing them..