akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Paul Nash paul at nashnetworks.ca
Thu Jan 23 19:52:24 UTC 2020

> I find it both happy and disturbing.  I remember the first 2.4/2.5g links I turned up as well as the first 10g and (eventually) the first 100g links.
>
> I was leaving the house earlier this week thinking about how it used to be Mbps of traffic that was a lot and now it’s Gbps and how that’s shifted to Tbps.
>
> While it makes me feel old, it’s also something that I marvel about periodically.

A bit of perspective on bandwidth and feeling old.  The first non-academic connection from Africa (Usenet and Email, pre-Internet) ran at about 9600 bps over a Telebit Trailblazer in my living room.

The first non-academic IP connection was a satellite connection (64Kbps IIRC, not in my living room :-)).

Now we have a bajillion Gbps over submarine fibre landing pretty much everywhere, and my guess is that it is not enough bandwidth.

All this to bring such vital resources as Facebook and Netflix :-)

	paul