akamai yesterday - what in the world was that

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 23 18:50:40 UTC 2020

> On Jan 23, 2020, at 1:25 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Hugo Slabbert <hugo at slabnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This just follows the same rules as networks have always seemed to; If you build it, they will come, and you'll have to build more. :)
>>
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_demand
>>

> Yup, there is also (in networking at least) suppressed demand -- I'm
> sure we've all seen capacity planning discussions along the lines of:
> "My 1GE is running at 95% capacity - I'm replacing it with a 10GE and
> it will be around 10% used... wait?! What?! It's now at 7Gbps?! How
> the hell did that happen?!" scenarios. They usedto be funny, but these
> days I just find it depressing...

I find it both happy and disturbing.  I remember the first 2.4/2.5g links I turned up as well as the first 10g and (eventually) the first 100g links.

I was leaving the house earlier this week thinking about how it used to be Mbps of traffic that was a lot and now it’s Gbps and how that’s shifted to Tbps.

While it makes me feel old, it’s also something that I marvel about periodically.

- jared