DDoS Mitigation Survey

Dobbins, Roland Roland.Dobbins at netscout.com
Wed Jan 15 00:50:09 UTC 2020

On 15 Jan 2020, at 6:37, Lumin Shi wrote:

> What we meant by "may not have necessary capacity" is that routers do
> not
> have enough CAM/TCAM space to deploy/install ACLs, BGP FlowSpec rules
> against large-scale DDoS attacks without 1) incurring major collateral
> damage (e.g., deploy /16 source-based rules instead of /32 so that
> more
> DDoS traffic can be filtered while using less CAM/TCAM space), or 2)
> performance penalties that are introduced by deploying more filters
> than a
> router's data plane can support (i.e., data plane to control plane I/O
> limitation).

We can agree that nothing is infinite, nothing is free. TANSTAAFL.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that TCAM space is neither infinite nor
free, and while they aren't free in terms of performance, ACLs —
whether installed statically or dynamically via flowspec rules — are
used every second of every minute of every hour of every day to mitigate
large-scale DDoS attacks on large networks.

Features do indeed contend for TCAM space, and of course operators want
as much as is practicable. LOU expansion can affect how much TCAM space
a given ACL consumes on a given ASIC/linecard/platform.  On hardware
platforms from major vendors, TCAM space can often be carved to allocate
features, and operators do this in order to allocate more space for ACL
stanzas, or flowspec rules, or whatever.

However, as demonstrated above, your thesis as stated is overbroad and
directly contradicted by operational reality.

A key point is that operators must understand the performance envelopes
and characteristics of their infrastructure gear, so that they can avoid
causing issues by overtaxing it.

Here is a particular .pdf presentation which discusses issues of this
nature:

<https://app.box.com/s/xznjloitly2apixr5xge>

You are not wrong to posit that hardware capacity and capabilities are
neither infinite nor free.  But that has been well-understood in the
operational community for a long time, and is neither novel nor
particularly insightful.  It certainly isn't a topic that one would
imagine merits formal academic investigation, given that it's a
commonplace amongst those involved in the operational community.

It just isn't an interesting topic, in and of itself.  Something broader
in terms of operator perception of gaps across the gamut of required
DDoS mitigation capabilities at scale would potentially be of more
value.

Please feel free to contact me 1:1 to discuss further, if you like.