DDoS Mitigation Survey

Lumin Shi luminshi at cs.uoregon.edu
Tue Jan 14 23:37:21 UTC 2020

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your comments and resources.  I think you may have
misunderstood our email (we could've made our email more clear --
apologies).

The following is our explanation if we interpreted your email correctly.

What we meant by "may not have necessary capacity" is that routers do not
have enough CAM/TCAM space to deploy/install ACLs, BGP FlowSpec rules
against large-scale DDoS attacks without 1) incurring major collateral
damage (e.g., deploy /16 source-based rules instead of /32 so that more
DDoS traffic can be filtered while using less CAM/TCAM space), or 2)
performance penalties that are introduced by deploying more filters than a
router's data plane can support (i.e., data plane to control plane I/O
limitation).

We believe DDoS mitigation based on layer 3 and/or 4 information can be
fine-grain. As a matter of fact, when we referred to fine-grained traffic
filtering in our original email, we meant DDoS mitigation based on layer 3
and 4 information.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Best,
Lumin