FYI - Suspension of Cogent access to ARIN Whois

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Wed Jan 8 13:53:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 05:45:39PM -0500, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 08:51 John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> > On 7 Jan 2020, at 5:01 AM, Martijn Schmidt via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity, since we aren't affected by this ourselves, I know of
> > cases where Cogent has sub-allocated IP space to its customers but which
> > those customers originate from their own ASN and then announce to multiple
> > upstream providers.
> > >
> > > So while the IP space is registered to Cogent and allocated to its
> > customer, the AS-path might be something like ^174_456$ but it's entirely
> > possible that ARIN would observe it as ^123_456$ instead. Are such IP
> > address blocks affected by the suspension?
> >
> > As noted earlier, ARIN has suspended service for all Cogent-registered IP
> > address blocks - this is being done as a discrete IP block access list
> > applied to relevant ARIN Whois services, so the routing of the blocks are
> > immaterial - a customer using a suballocation of Cogent space could be
> > affected but customers with their own IP blocks blocks that are simply
> > being routed by Cogent are not affected.
>

> This is a disproportionate response IMHO. $0.02
>
> YMMV,

And mine certainly does. Well over a decade of documented
misbehavior with requests for them to cease certainly makes
this an appropriate response. I will always applaud an
organization enforcing its anti-abuse policies.

Similarly, Cogent has been banned from peeringdb multiple
times for the exact same behavior.  Repeated warnings had
no impact and without the bans, the behavior was not adjusted.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Posted from my personal account - see X-Disclaimer header.
Joe Provo / Gweep / Earthling