Getting an ASN in ARIN

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Jan 6 21:38:01 UTC 2020

On 1/6/20 1:47 PM, William Herrin wrote:
> If you're not multihomed, buy a $20 virtual server from Vultr or a
> comparable cloud service, read about the BGP service they provide (BGP
> via two providers is what will make you multihomed), set up a VPN from
> there back to your site and then see multihomed above.

"Distinct routing policy", while a bit less clear-cut than being
multi-homed, is another valid reason to get an ASN and more flexible if
you're in a situation where you might be concerned about "strictness".
It's mostly applicable to ISPs rather than end-users, I would suppose.
However, it generally suffices to say "I am a network operator and set
my own routing policies, have my own PI space under those grounds, and
my single upstream provider prefers that I have a public ASN if I want
to run BGP with them which I wish to do as part of setting my network's
routing policies."

As has been pointed out, there's not a shortage of ASNs like there is
IPv4.  The policy surrounding assignment of ASNs is mostly to make sure
that people who are getting one actually have a use for it and know what
they intend to do with it.
--
Brandon Martin