Getting an ASN in ARIN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jan 6 18:47:37 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:42 AM thomas brenac via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
wrote:

> I know ARIN is very strict with IP transfers at least from ARIN to ARIN.
> I know they require very detailed information. Curious if someone in the
> list know if they are equally strict when issuing an ASN and/or have a
> recent experience on the matter ?

Happy new year Thomas,

If you're multihomed, getting an AS number from ARIN is trivial. Fill out
the form, indicate the at least IPv4 /24 or IPv6 /48 you intend to announce
via BGP, provide redacted billing statements from two ISPs and you're
golden.

If you're not multihomed, buy a $20 virtual server from Vultr or a
comparable cloud service, read about the BGP service they provide (BGP via
two providers is what will make you multihomed), set up a VPN from there
back to your site and then see multihomed above.

If you don't have at least a /24 or /48... why do you want an AS number?
How would you use it?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--