Cost Recovery Surcharge & Va Personal Property Tax Recovery for IP Transit

Eric Dugas edugas at unknowndevice.ca
Mon Jan 6 16:47:08 UTC 2020

Had a similar issue where a provider would slap a ~10% "FCC Regulatory Surcharge" (not specified in the contract) on IP transit delivered in Canada. We spent multiple hours trying to resolve the issues. I ended up by de-peering from the three letter name company. They were the only one doing this (out of six Tier1 providers available in the city).

I don't care about paying regulatory stuff. In some places, it's part of the game. I just need my providers to be transparent. If you're selling a full 10G of IP transit at $0.40/Mbps, I expect to receive an invoice for $4000+tx a month, not $4400+tx a month.
Eric