5G roadblock: labor

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:11:33 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 1:54 PM Sabri Berisha <sabri at cluecentral.net> wrote:

> ----- On Jan 3, 2020, at 1:00 AM, Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu wrote:
>
> > On 2/Jan/20 21:02, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> >

> >> Maybe you're just dating yourself here :) I use video calling on an
> almost
> >> daily basis with my family living in another country, 9 timezones away.
> My
> >> daughter can spend hours in her ipad "playing" with grandpa, live on
> video.
> >
> > True, but how often are you and daughter "spending hours" on this over
> > GSM vs. over wi-fi?
>
> That depends on where we are. Most of the time it is at home, over wi-fi.
> However, sometimes they chat while my daughter is walking to school. At
> some point, I worked in SoCal while the family still lived in the Bay
> Area.
> Very often, grandpa kept her entertained in the back of the car while
> the misses focused on the road ahead of her in the central valley.
>
> But the point was that while some never use video calling, others do so
> very
> often.
>
> You also wrote:
>
> > With all the fibre going into homes, businesses, shops and restaurants,
> > wi-fi is up-and-to-the-right.
>
> I don't know about you, but I rarely use those. My T-Mobile plan has
> unlimited data and coverage is adequate for me. It even works abroad, so
> unless I need high speed data I'm fine with the included 256kbps.
> Surprisingly, that's good enough for facetime.
>
> I predict that there will be a time where, just like POTS lines were
> exchanged for cellular phones, people will disconnect their cable internet
> and rely on 6g or 7g alone. And probably still with IPv4 addresses.

You are not using ipv4 today.

The scenario you describe, using facetime (iOS) on T-Mobile US, you are not
using ipv4 on the device.  T-Mobile does not assign ipv4 addresses to iOS
or Android devices in default scenarios, has not for years.

If the far end of your facetime call is v4-only, you may need nat64 in the
cloud.... but otherwise no v4 in the flow, and no v4 on the device.

CB