5G roadblock: labor

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Fri Jan 3 21:53:31 UTC 2020

----- On Jan 3, 2020, at 1:00 AM, Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu wrote:

> On 2/Jan/20 21:02, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>

>> Maybe you're just dating yourself here :) I use video calling on an almost
>> daily basis with my family living in another country, 9 timezones away. My
>> daughter can spend hours in her ipad "playing" with grandpa, live on video.
>
> True, but how often are you and daughter "spending hours" on this over
> GSM vs. over wi-fi?

That depends on where we are. Most of the time it is at home, over wi-fi.
However, sometimes they chat while my daughter is walking to school. At
some point, I worked in SoCal while the family still lived in the Bay Area.
Very often, grandpa kept her entertained in the back of the car while
the misses focused on the road ahead of her in the central valley.

But the point was that while some never use video calling, others do so very
often.

You also wrote:

> With all the fibre going into homes, businesses, shops and restaurants,
> wi-fi is up-and-to-the-right.

I don't know about you, but I rarely use those. My T-Mobile plan has
unlimited data and coverage is adequate for me. It even works abroad, so
unless I need high speed data I'm fine with the included 256kbps.
Surprisingly, that's good enough for facetime.

I predict that there will be a time where, just like POTS lines were
exchanged for cellular phones, people will disconnect their cable internet
and rely on 6g or 7g alone. And probably still with IPv4 addresses.

Thanks,

Sabri