5G roadblock: labor

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 18:42:39 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 9:28 AM Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:

> Throughput is (mostly) a function of channel size, modulation, and signal to noise ratio.
>
> Coverage is (mostly) a function of frequency, radiated power, obstacles, and signal to noise ratio.
>

> Other than in the bowels of large buildings, coverage shouldn't be an issue in most urban areas.

Mike, I'd caution your use of: "other than in the bowels of large
buildings" there... In office buildings (or residential buildings)
which are LEED certified often you get glass coatings which reflect
radio emissions (both reflect IN and reflect OUT) so.. in most
'modern' office buildings (which LEED certification, or equivalent)
even standing next to a window you may not pick up LTE/3g from outside
:(

there are internal building deployment things, of course, which can be
done... but not every building is equipped :(