QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 00:29:37 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 7:20 PM Dan Wing <danwing at gmail.com> wrote:
> For all we know, you and the others noticing the issue have fallen into the pit of A/B testers checking for their current throttling, and others aren't being throttled.

Ouch, I hope not -- do A/B tests that result in extreme performance
degradation continue indefinitely ?

> Youtube/Google is hoping customers complain to AT&T

It seems like this is one area where AT&T has no reason to care
(unless management decides to get involved). The default stance from
support would be, I assume: "Google is slow for you? Well obviously it
can't be Google's fault. Have a new NAT box"

I would bet dollars to donuts that if Google took a proper look at
their stats they would see this issue manifesting as users simply not
using services that have been QUIC-holed.

-- Dan