QUIC traffic throttled on AT&T residential

Dan Wing danwing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 00:20:39 UTC 2020

Yes, other than AT&T increasing their permitted incoming UDP traffic -- the easiest thing AT&T can do -- AT&T could ask the vendor of their flow restricting device to use bi-directional UDP traffic on same 5-tuple to indicate "desire to receive", rather than solely examining incoming UDP traffic as they are doing today; this is not easy but also not impossible.

While it is true Youtube/Google could treat AT&T-sourced connections as 'bad' and force TCP, but I am sure Youtube/Google is already gathering those statistics and already aware that AT&T is throttling.  For all we know, you and the others noticing the issue have fallen into the pit of A/B testers checking for their current throttling, and others aren't being throttled.  Perhaps it's everyone, the tests are not well described or well announced.  Youtube/Google is hoping customers complain to AT&T so that AT&T removes or improves the flow restrictor, because otherwise AT&T customers won't be able to get QUIC.  Similarly, AT&T could protect their users from AT&T's own rate limiting by blocking QUIC towards major servers that support QUIC but such blocking becomes problematic as QUIC rolls out beyond Google to Cloudflare and elsewhere.

This tussle has similarities to IPv6 vs IPv4.

-d