Tell me about AS19111

John Sweeting jsweeting at arin.net
Thu Feb 6 21:13:04 UTC 2020

I am replying to the original post as I am only answering John's question below.

On 2/5/20, 8:30 PM, "NANOG on behalf of John Levine" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

    1800vitamins.org has a web site at 12.180.219.234 which looks like
    they would sell me vitamins should I or my dog need any.

    Routeviews tells me that IP is in AS19111, routed via AS7018.  AS7018
    is AT&T which isn't surprising for a 12/8 address, but ARIN says
    AS19111 doesn't exist.  Huh?

John - there is a discrepancy with the registration of AS19111 that ARIN is working through with the organization that it was originally assigned to on 11/20/2000. Once the discrepancy is corrected then the registration will be visible in whois. Having worked at several ISPs I would point out that customers are not normally cut off strictly based on a discrepancy with whois or any other database. We would usually work with our customers to help correct the discrepancy without disrupting their business. The other interesting thing that you pointed out is that the IPs belong to the upstream in this case so they most likely have a good idea of who is announcing them to their AS. ARIN always cautions on the side of "not disrupting" business and to help correct discrepancies and keep the Internet running.

    Signed,
    Confused
    --
    Regards,