[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Dec 27 17:49:14 UTC 2020

On 12/27/20 9:38 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 12/27/20 18:14, Michael Thomas wrote:
>
>> We have both, and are going to get a battery. But the battery would
>> probably only be good for about a day which is not enough, especially
>> with these planned shutoffs because they have to inspect their wire
>> plant in daylight.
>
> If you can add some solar panels to that, you would be in a better
> position to prolong the battery's utility.
>
> I'd say dump the generator, and invest that money in solar panels,
> rather. Batteries are way more costly than panels, and if you can have
> both, you're going to be better off in the long run.

We can't get enough solar panels on the roof to charge a battery big
enough to handle a multi-day outage, and the battery as quoted is only
charged from the panels, not from the mains. It's easy enough to get a
transfer switch though for the battery subpanel to hook the generator up
to. If I really wanted to get fancy, I could supply the generator from
our house propane tank, but it's not that hard to just use the normal 5
gallon type tanks.

Mike, it's sunday so i guess it's ok to be off topic :)