[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Dec 26 20:58:42 UTC 2020

On 12/26/20 12:44 PM, John Levine wrote:

> In the 25 years since I've lived here the power has never been out as
> long as a day so I think a four day battery will give me pretty good
> reliability. I know my fiber is a straight shot to the CO since I'm
> only four blocks away but as far as I can tell, unlike the HFC cable
> plant next to it on the poles, their fiber system doesn't use any
> powered repeaters.

Here in California the new reality is that multi-day outages are now
common. The first few planned outages were 3-4 days, so that would be on
the edge, especially if it's for gabby granny on the phone for
hours.This all depends on the weather, and for snow related outages they
can go on for days. We have a generator because of this, but everybody
getting a generator in the middle of the Berkeley Hills would be
something of its own horror show, but it will probably come down to that.

Mike