[External] Re: 10g residential CPE

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Dec 26 20:44:41 UTC 2020

In article <653758700.2275.1608968920711.JavaMail.zimbra at baylink.com>,
Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> [...]

My telco is a family run rural LEC with some quaint ideas. I asked the
installer who replaces the backup battery when it wears out.  "We do,
of course."  He seemed to think it was a silly question, was surprised
when I told him Verizon felt otherwise.

In the 25 years since I've lived here the power has never been out as
long as a day so I think a four day battery will give me pretty good
reliability. I know my fiber is a straight shot to the CO since I'm
only four blocks away but as far as I can tell, unlike the HFC cable
plant next to it on the poles, their fiber system doesn't use any
powered repeaters.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",