Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone forever?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Dec 23 06:10:44 UTC 2020

On 12/23/20 07:41, Wayne Bouchard wrote:

> And if the last 15 years has shown us anything, it is that when you
> can't get past the auto-attendant and talk to a real human, and if
> that person can't talk to you like a person instead of reading scripts
> at you, your stress levels go way up as does your desire to break
> things. Automation in customer service (or excessive emphasis on
> procedures) is a really nice way of taking a five minute problem and
> turning it into an hour long ordeal.
>
> (pet peeve)

The good news is that choice deals with this problem.

The level of patience we've had to allow this type of customer
interaction has been drastically reduced by our experiences with free or
paid services we experience with apps on our phones. Without realizing
it, our basic expectations rise from how we experience one app that has
nothing to do with the other. It put more stock in choice.

Either we are deleting an app 5 seconds after it doesn't meet our
re-trained expectations, or we are cancelling a contract and moving on
to another provider.

I, like you, refuse to call a call centre and ask for support. The same
goes for online services whose support is limited to bots or FAQ's. The
moment I can't get a fix via an e-mail and I have to speak to someone
waiting with a script, I cancel and move on.

Mark.