Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

Ross Tajvar ross at tajvar.io
Sun Aug 2 19:37:05 UTC 2020

Mark,

I think trying to implement some kind of license requirement for DFZ
participants is a step in the wrong direction and a waste of time and
money. How would you even enforce it? If the goal is just to provide a
bigger barrier to "kids born after 9/11", why not just increase RIR fees,
or add an age requirement for individuals? And anyway, why do we need to
increase that barrier? What problem does that actually solve? Are "kids
born after 9/11" the ones propagating route leaks? I don't think they are.
But the reason for that is not that they're necessarily more skilled
operators than "adults born before 9/11" or anyone else - it's that they
are being filtered appropriately by the likes of Vultr, etc. Verizon (and
other large incumbents) could learn something from them.

Let's try to stay away from exclusivity for exclusivity's sake and actually
focus on solving the real problems we have.