Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sun Aug 2 21:24:07 UTC 2020

On 2/Aug/20 21:37, Ross Tajvar wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I think trying to implement some kind of license requirement for DFZ
> participants is a step in the wrong direction and a waste of time and
> money. How would you even enforce it? If the goal is just to provide a
> bigger barrier to "kids born after 9/11", why not just increase RIR
> fees, or add an age requirement for individuals? And anyway, why do we
> need to increase that barrier? What problem does that actually solve?
> Are "kids born after 9/11" the ones propagating route leaks? I don't
> think they are. But the reason for that is not that they're
> necessarily more skilled operators than "adults born before 9/11" or
> anyone else - it's that they are being filtered appropriately by the
> likes of Vultr, etc. Verizon (and other large incumbents) could learn
> something from them.
>
> Let's try to stay away from exclusivity for exclusivity's sake and
> actually focus on solving the real problems we have.

Like I said before, "guidance" rather than "regulation".

The way the Internet has worked for 4+ decades has been what has made it
so successful. However, it's starting to catch up with us, so we need to
figure it out, and not bury our heads in the sand until it hurts me or
you more directly for either us to care.

Like I also said, I don't quite know how to solve this problem yet. What
I do know is if we keep having this dance every few months each year, it
will be 2050 and we'll still be in the same place, only worse.

Before we can find a solution, we have to realize that there is a
problem. There is enough smarts in the community to find a solution.
Hopefully before some silly gubbermint (TikTok ban, anyone?) decides for us.

Mark.