Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 14:33:08 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:21 AM Etienne-Victor Depasquale <edepa at ieee.org>
wrote:

> The surprise for me regards Intel's (and the entire Cloud Native Computing
> Foundation's?) readiness to move past network functions run on VMs
> and towards network functions run as microservices in containers.
>
> See, for example, Azhar Sayeed's (Red Hat) contribution here
> <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1608>@15:33.

Be careful not to confuse vendors pumping stuff with whats actually
deployed.

Also, AT&T has been doing virtualization for nearly 10 years now, so
perhaps you were just not paying attention

https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/at-t-target-for-virtualizing-75-its-network-by-2020

Not sure it has helped ATT in any meaningful way, their stock price  is the
same it was in 2015.