Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Sat Aug 1 14:52:33 UTC 2020

> Be careful not to confuse vendors pumping stuff with whats actually
> deployed.

Well yes, there's always the hype factor to discount. The reason why I'm
asking this forum is to separate hype from hope.

Also, AT&T has been doing virtualization for nearly 10 years now, so
> perhaps you were just not paying attention

But the point is just that: how serious is this progression towards
cloud-native, if so much effort was put in to virtualization?

Incidentally, AT&T's Brian Bearden was present here
<https://intelvs.on24.com/vshow/inteldcgevents/#content/2393080>: just
listen to how he defended Intel's containerization drive @24:56.