Best way to get foreign ISPs to shut down DDoS reflectors?

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Fri Apr 24 00:09:47 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:26 PM Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:14 PM Compton, Rich A <Rich.Compton at charter.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Good luck with that.  😊  As Damian Menscher has presented at NANOG,
>> even if we do an amazing job and shut down 99% of all DDoS reflectors,
>> there will still be enough bandwidth to generate terabit size attacks.
>> https://stats.cybergreen.net
>>
>> I think we need to instead collectively focus on stopping the spoofed
>> traffic that allows these attacks to be generated in the first place.
>>
>> -Rich
>>

> The bcp38 religion has failed to deliver the promised land for 20 years.

That's because it's been opt-in for thousands of ASNs.

1 spoofer is all you need to trigger all the reflectors.

A handful of transit providers is all you need to identify and filter all
sources of spoofing.

I do bcp38, i encourage others to as well, but i do not plan on it
> unclogging the pipes in my lifetime.
>
> You will get more miles from ACL dropping and policing known bad traffic
> (most of udp)

Do you have 10 Tbps of spare ingress capacity?  If not, you should re-think
your strategy (which may simply include a playbook for how to explain
the outage to your customers).

Damian