U.S. Senate: READI Act 2019 re-introducted

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Oct 27 18:57:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
> Ok, you had me completely puzzled by digital assistant layer. I'm not sure
> apps might not be interested in competing for users: "This 7.0 earthquake is
> brought to you by Allstate!"

I'll assume you intended a smiley emoticon.

Do not use interstitials, ad pre-rolls, captchas, etc during actual
emergency alert information.

Since new people seem to propose it periodically, it turns out advertisers
(and consumers) do not like their brands being associated with mass
casualty events, child abductions and terrorism incidents.  High-quality
(i.e. high-revenue) marketeers demand buffers between their ads and
sensitive topics to avoid being branded explotive. That's why you don't
see airline advertising for days or sometimes weeks after a major
airplane crash.

Radio and television have learned this lesson over decades. The Weather
Channel is very good at keeping ads separate from actual alerts. Even
algorithmic and auction-based on-line advertising and social media
networks are mostly learning this lesson, usually the hard way.

After the immediate disaster, marketeers do use geo-targeting. But even
then, the better advertising agencies change their messaging in disaster
areas.

https://adage.com/article/digitalnext/advertising-disaster-regions/310389
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/business/media/marketers-ride-the-coattails-of-a-storm-not-all-successfully.html

Finally, the FCC has been fining advertisers over $1 million for using
official emergency alert tones and signals in ads to get people's
attention.

The techies in silicon valley should learn from their marketeering
counter-parts on madison avenue -- keep your emergency alerts separate
from your advertising.