U.S. Senate: READI Act 2019 re-introducted

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sun Oct 27 20:28:04 UTC 2019

On 10/27/19 11:57 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
>> Ok, you had me completely puzzled by digital assistant layer. I'm not
>> sure apps might not be interested in competing for users: "This 7.0
>> earthquake is brought to you by Allstate!"
>
> I'll assume you intended a smiley emoticon.

Yes. My real issue is that I'm not sure I want the USG in the business
of UI requirements, and I'm not sure that I want Apple and Google to be
the sole arbiters either. Take for example Amber alerts: their ham
fisted blasts that don't even take into account whether I'm in any
position to help... like I'm sitting at home and not on the road. And
then there's the issue of 8 dozen devices in the house faithfully
blasting the same message. And then of course, there is the
disaggregation problem of many different sources of altering using
different alert distribution mechanisms. It would be nice to have some
leeway such that somebody who might care about those problems has a
chance at to be a player too. Yes, maybe that is an Allstate app that I
can opt into. Maybe it's an open source project. Maybe it needs
certification. There are a lot of possibilities here and although Apple
and Google are at approximately the right layer in the stack, I don't
think they're at the right layer of motivation: Allstate would
definitely have more motivation, IMO.

Mike