Cloudflare "Magic" IP Transit

Mike mike-nanog at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Oct 25 16:22:06 UTC 2019

On 10/25/19 8:43 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Is the pricing any different if PNI or an IX is used for the hand-off
> instead of GRE?
>
> DDoS-filtered transit is generally expensive, compared to not-filtered
> transit.

More expensive, by leaps and bounds. Don't know who could or would
possibly pay these prices but we're out for sure.

I just find it soooooo hypocritical that cloudflare actively protects
the very DDOS / Booter services that were being used to order DDOS hits
against our customer networks in the first place. They have this to state:

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/ddos-attack-tools/ddos-booter-ip-stresser/

>     Why are booter services hard to trace?
>
> The person buying these criminal services uses a frontend website for
> payment, and instructions relating to the attack. Very often there is
> no identifiable connection to the backend initiating the actual
> attack. Therefore, criminal intent can be hard to prove. Following the
> payment trail is one way to track down criminal entities.

Well guess what cloudflare? Thats a very good idea. Please open your
books and allow us to 'follow the payment trail'....

And a quick google shows up first result, and a cloudflare protected site:

https://str3ssed.co

Ugh.