IPv4 and Auctions

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Thu Oct 24 14:43:15 UTC 2019

Since you mentioned Hilco specifically. . .

IPv4.Global is the IPv4 address brokerage operated by Hilco Streambank.
We match organizations who have more IPv4 address space than they need
with organizations who need more IPv4 address space than they have. This
is consistent with ARIN's Number Resource Policy Manual sections 8.3.
and 8.4
https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/nrpm/#8-3-transfers-between-specified-recipients-within-the-arin-region

I was on the ARIN Board when we approved this policy in 2008. The
compelling argument to me was that this market would improve overall
utilization of address space, and would be more efficient than ARIN
trying to reclaim unused or lightly used address blocks. There are a lot
of cases where pre-RIR, the justification was minimal, and
organizational needs may change over the intervening 20-40 years.

Part of the interest, to me, was that many organizations who had
received their allocations prior to ARIN's existence did not recognize
ARIN's authority to reclaim their space. Even if ARIN prevailed in
court, it would have been costly.

Not only that, but there's no minimum utilization requirement to keep
addresses. You must show 50-80% utilization to get more, but what if you
aren't asking for more? Would ARIN reclaim a block that was only 45%
used? 25%? 1%?

In each of the more than 1500 transfers IPv4.Global has handled, the
recipient has had to satisfy their need under the rules of the RIR in
which they operate.

ARIN's policies are established by community consensus. ARIN's Public
Policy Mailing List (ppml) is open, and there's a designated open
microphone time at the end of the meeting next Thursday. If you won't be
there in person, remote participation is pretty good.

I'm always happy to talk about this, either one on one, or if there are
other folks at NANOG/ARIN next week who want to get together to chat,
I'd be happy to facilitate.

Lee