IPv4 and Auctions

Michel Py michel.py at tsisemi.com
Fri Oct 25 00:29:19 UTC 2019

> Matt Hoppes wrote :
> How is it, then, that we daily for the last 2-3 years have places like Hilco that have sometimes 15-20 large IPv4 blocks up for auction?

Because now it's worth real money, while earlier it was better to hoard it, just in case.

> Another thought: being that IPv4 address space is essentially leased to you from ARIN, can you even legally auction your space to
> someone else? I know it’s happening, but it would almost be like me auctioning my apartment to another random person.

The difference is that ARIN charges almost nothing for the rent, so what you basically are auctioning is the right too use a free appartment, which is worth money.
Even if you don't own the IP addresses, the right to use them is a tangible asset.

> I get that -- but if you don't need a /18, don't the ARIN rules require they be returned?

There are 3 reasons why it does not happen :

1. ARIN does not measure how much a block is utilized.
The block does not even have to be announced on the Internet. How does ARIN know how much of 30/8 is in use ?

2. Even if they did, there is utilization and there there is "utilization". If an ISP has a produt that gives a /28 to each business aDSL, it is justifiable. Now we all know that all that 99% of business aDSL cares about is ONE static IP, but giving them a /28 is a good method to request large blocks of IPs just in case they are needed later.

3. Why should one spend time returning free ressources that may be of some use later ?

> Lee Howard wrote :
> IPv4.Global is the IPv4 address brokerage operated by Hilco Streambank.

What I like with Hilco is that it brings transparency to the market. I think that each transfer should list the amount of the transaction between parties.
For example, I would like to know for how much 44.192/10 went.

Michel.

TSI Disclaimer:  This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for the recipients named above and contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not forward, copy, use or otherwise disclose this communication or the information contained herein. In the event you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and then delete all copies of it from your system. Thank you!...