"Using Cloud Resources to Dramatically Improve Internet Routing"

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Oct 20 13:08:16 UTC 2019

Julien Goodwin <jgoodwin at studio442.com.au> writes:
> On 20/10/19 11:08 pm, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il> writes:

>>> Centralized Internet routing - sounds like DoH for BGP.
>>
>> Great idea!  Why don't we just run BGP over HTTPS?  Everyone already has
>> a browser, so we can get rid of all these expensive routers.
>
> IMO BGP over TLS actually makes a bunch of sense,

Absolutely.  And so does DNS over TLS. A lot of sense.

But if you start encoding the BGP protocol data in the TLS session as
HTTP so you can tunnel it over a shared 443 port to some distant
endpoint, and even traverse HTTP proxies, then it would look like a
joke.

Or in the DoH case, would make you wish it was a joke.

Bjørn