Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Oct 14 22:38:11 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 3:06 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> That is not why people are surprised.  When the house doesn't have
> power, and doesn't have home generator or UPS, (most) people are less
> surprised their DSL or Cable modem and VOIP doesn't work anymore.
>
> The reasons I saw people angry on twitter was no Comcast service even
> when they had power at the house (utility, generator, UPS). Their
> Comcast service died quickly, even when the home had power but the
> Comcast outside plant didn't seem to have any backup power.
>
> DSL modems also need power at the home, but the telco providers seem
> to have more backup power in the outside plant or central offices.
> That meant DSL worked as long as the house had power (or a home
> generator or UPS).

So it turns out that our local telco/isp does keep dsl running via the
same mechanism as they keep pots power backed up (i'm guessing it's a
diesel generator at the co, but am not sure). It seems that a lot of the
pedestals terminating the local loop these days do the conversion to IP
right there with sip/h.248/mgcp/rtp. I'm not sure how they get power to
the pedestal, but these were all a home run to the co at one time so it
probably wasn't hard to power them from the co. For all i know, that's
how they're all powered all the time, with a transfer switch at the co,
rather than tapping the local grid next to the pedestal.

Of course this is a lot of conjecture on my part... be glad to be clued
in by folks in know.

Mike